Nelson attended secondary school at Jo Richardson Community School and Abbs Cross Academy and Arts College (in Hornchurch, Essex), was noted for being a dedicated drama and music student by her teachers. She also attended Sylvia Young and Yvonne Rhodes Theatre Schools.
Artistry and influences
Jesy Nelson lists the Spice Girls, TLC and Missy Elliott as her major musical influences.
Janice White and John Nelson are Jesy's parents. She has an older sister named Jade and two brothers named Joseph and Jonathan. Her parents separated when she was very young.
- She dated dancer Jordan Banjo from 2012 till 2014. Jordan is a member of Diversity, a dance group, that won Britain's Got Talent in 2009. He was Jesy's boyfriend until their split sometime in 2013. Eventually they got back together. They broke up again in the end of June 2014 because of their busy schedules. Jesy's bandmate Jade Thirlwall broke up with her boyfriend Sam Craske, a bandmate of Jordan, around the same time.
- She briefly had an romantic encounter with former Union J member, George Shelley. They have denied the rumours of them dating, and he confirmed that they are only friends.
- She's the ex-fiancée of Jake Roche, singer of the band Rixton. She flew to LA to see a concert of theirs in August 2014 and posted a picture and a video with him on her Instagram account. The relationship became official when Jesy posted a picture of them kissing. They got engaged in July 2015. On November 21, 2016, it was confirmed that the couple split up. 
- She briefly had a romantic encounter with the Only Way is Essex star Chris Clark in March 2017, however they split up after a month of dating because Clark believed that his and Jesy's lives were too different.
- She dated singer-songwriter and former rapper, Harry James from late September/early October 2017 to early November 2018.
- She Is currently dating Chris Hughes.
Jesy has at least fourteen known tattoos.
I’m not going on a diet, I’m not trying to lose weight, because your insecurities are what make you different and if everyone looked the same, it’d be boring
I have the girls and they are like my family now. For every bad comment, there are 100 nice ones.
When I was younger I got bullied about the way I looked and I thought once I was older it would stop. I hated going to school, but didn’t know who to talk to about it. It knocked my confidence a lot.
“A lot of work goes into it! We have an amazing stylist and she always has a massive comb—she straightens my hair, then goes through it with a hair-dryer and diffuser. Mine is really curly naturally, but this is not all my own hair. It’s too short. Jade is the only one with her own hair!”
“When we dye our hair, like the colors Perrie and Jade have right now, it’s a stain, not proper hair dye. You wash your hair and it comes right out—it’s so annoying. Every time you wash it, you have to dye it again, so they never wash it.”
“I’ve never in my life worn heels! When we do things like premieres, they tell me, ‘You can’t wear sneakers—you’ve got to wear heels.’ But we can’t dance in heels. I don’t know how Beyonce does it. I would literally break my neck if I performed in heels! It’s really important to feel comfortable so we perform at our best, so it's flats all the way!”
- Her real name is Jessica.
- She was born June 14, 1991.
- She is 1.6m tall.
- She worked as a bartender.
- She dated Eddie Brett from the band Lovable Rogues in 2013.
- She was engaged to Rixton singer Jake Roche for about a year before they broke up in 2016.
- In 2017, she began dating musician Harry James.
- Her favorite color is black and red.
- Her style inspiration is Gwen Stefani.
- Jesy's Vocal Type is "Lyric Contralto"
- She is addicted to clicking her knuckles.
- Her nickname is Jesminda.
- Her favorite group is Spice Girls and her favourite member is Geri.
- Her favorite foods are Nando's.
- Her favorite Little Mix performance on the X Factor is E.T.
- Her favorite clothes shop are Topshop and Camden Market.
- Her first celebrity crush is Bradley from S Club 7.
- Her guilty pleasure/weirdest celebrity crush is James Corden.
- She was 13 when she had her first kiss.
- She shares a birthday with Alan Carr (Chatty Man).
- Her favorite musician is Missy Elliott.
- Her birth sign is Gemini (the sign of the twins) which is also the 3rd sign of the Zodiac.
- Her favourite movie is Taken. 
- She washes her hair every day.
- She can do a Scottish and Australian accent.
- The girls describe Jesy as the most outgoing, lovely and caring person, who will always listen to you or talk to you when you have a problem.
- She is very good at beat boxing and used this skill during her audition as a solo artist, their Judges Houses performance of Cry Me a River, a Capella outbursts on X Factor, in Wembley Final during their mentor performance and in the Little Mix track Going Nowhere.
- She and Perrie share the same middle name, Louise.
- She is a fan of Jeremy Kyle.
- Her worst habit is that she takes the longest to get ready out of all the girls.
- She broke her arm three times.
- Her idols are Jessie J and Missy Elliot.
- She had Alopecia when she was 13, it was brought on by stress from bullying.
- She has moved schools multiple times because of bullying.
- The name Jesy means "God is Gracious"
- Her favourite colour is pink.
- If she had a theme song it would be "Let Me Blow Ya Mind"
- She loves Chris Brown and Ed Sheeran.
- Her favourite musical genre is hip hop.
- She is the oldest member of the group Little Mix.
- She was bullied on the Internet during the early Live Shows of X-Factor and has spoken about her experiences to inspire others. 
- She has not yet taken her driving test.
- She believes that the band is very 'open'.
- She is left-handed.
- She got into singing when she started by mucking around in her room singing to her favourite songs.
- She worked as a bartender before being selected to compete on the X Factor, where she auditioned with "Bust Your Windows."
- She was raised by John Nelson and Janice White, and has a sister named Jade and two brothers named Joseph and Jonathan.
- Her Chinese astrology sign is 1991 Goat.
- Perrie gave her the nickname “Swagger Mix”.
- She attended Abbs Cross Academy and Arts College in Hornchurch, Essex. Jesy also attended both Sylvia Young and Yvonne Rhodes theatre schools.
- If Jesy could be any princess from Disney's movies she would be Merida.
- She was in the movie Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.